MassCPAs Women to Watch Award Winners
October 19, 2022
MassCPAs, in partnership with the AICPA’s Women’s Initiatives Executive Committee, is pleased to announce the seven recipients of the 2022 Women to Watch Awards! The awards recognize outstanding women in the accounting profession and are given in two categories: Emerging Leaders (fewer than 15 years in the profession) and Experienced Leaders (15 or more years in the profession). There were many exceptional nominees this year, making it a very difficult decision for our judging panel. Congratulations to these exceptional women!
Kayla Ducharme, CPA
Audit Manager, Audit Asset Management Practice | KPMG LLP
Kayla Ducharme, CPA, is audit manager in the Audit Asset Management Practice at KPMG LLP where she works on financial services for clients, including both investment fund and investment adviser audits. In addition, she is involved in the Network of Women Leadership Council, as well as the firm’s Financial Services Social Committee. Ducharme is also on the planning board for MassCPAs Alternative Investments Committee and is a member of both the Young Professionals Advisory Group and Women in Accounting Committee. She enjoys giving back to her community and is an active volunteer for both Malden Overcomes Addiction and the Malden Warming Center.
Marni Kaufman, CPA, CFE, ABV
Senior Manager | Floyd Advisory LLC
Marni Kaufman, CPA, CFE, ABV, is a senior manager at Floyd Advisory LLC where she assists on consulting engagements related to analyzing complex financial transactions and records, post‐acquisition disputes involving significant accounting, contractual and financial reporting analysis and preparing financial forecasts. In addition, Kaufman has an array of practical experience, including financial statement audits of public and private corporate clients and investment funds, as well as providing accounting advisory and financial analysis services. She also has extensive experience in both international and domestic financial accounting and financial reporting matters.
Madison Litwin, CPA, MBA, MST
Senior Manager, Private Client Services Group | KLR
Madison Litwin, CPA, MBA, MST, is a senior manager in KLR’s Private Client Services Group and has over eight years of experience in public accounting, beginning her career at Deloitte Tax LLP before joining KLR in 2019. She practices in a variety of areas, including corporate, high-net-worth, nonprofit and financial services. In addition, Litwin was selected as an Evolving Leader at KLR in 2021 and nominated to join the Leading Edge Alliance Young Professionals in 2022. Beyond tax, she is heavily involved with the firm’s recruiting efforts, community outreach, internal initiatives and mentorship program. Litwin also has a passion for giving back to the community and has volunteered on the Women’s Lunch Place Young Professionals board for over seven years.
Ashley Meehan, CPA, MSA
Assurance Manager | CohnReznick LLP
Ashley Meehan, CPA, MSA, is an assurance manager at CohnReznick with over five years of public accounting experience working primarily with nonprofit organizations, community development corporations and affordable housing entities. She provides assurance, financial statement preparation and advisory services to her clients and is well-versed in Uniform Guidance and audits performed in accordance with Governmental Auditing Standards. Additionally, Meehan serves as a MassCPAs Firm Ambassador, is part of the Affordable Housing Emerging Leaders group and on the Nonprofit Committee at CohnReznick. She is heavily involved with the recruiting and talent department and has established long-term connections with well-known universities across Massachusetts. Meehan also serves as a coach at her firm, helping to guide staff from interns to senior associates through their early careers in the public accounting industry. Meehan volunteers at various internal and external events, including speaking at panels for accounting college students, serving on the selection committee for the MassCPAs Educational Foundation and as the treasurer on a local nonprofit organization’s board of directors.
Janine Danielson, CPA
Partner, Managing Director of Outsourced Management Accounting | LGA, LLP
Janine Danielson, CPA, is a partner at LGA, LLP with over 30 years of experience advising a diverse range of clients. She is the managing director of the Outsourced Management Accounting practice, where she provides clients with outsourced accounting and advisory solutions to augment every function of their accounting team, utilizing a highly customizable and practical approach. Whether serving as a client's entire back-office or taking on a specific role as part of the client's accounting and finance team, Danielson and her team enable business owners and managers to concentrate on the day-to-day aspects of leading and growing a successful business. Her clients are from a broad range of industries, including professional services, technology, hospitality, real estate and various nonprofits across a spectrum of missions. She also has extensive experience working with foreign-owned entities operating and conducting business in the U.S. In addition to her professional duties, Danielson champions the firm's Women's Affinity Group, and is a past treasurer and currently serves as a board member of Women's Lunch Place. In all her roles, Danielson focuses on developing meaningful relationships and serving as a trusted advisor to her clients.
Nicole Florian-Theriaque, CPA, MSA
Audit Senior Manager | Wolf & Company, P.C.
Nicole Florian-Theriaque, CPA, MSA, is an audit senior manager at Wolf & Company, P.C. where she is responsible for coordinating and supervising audit services. Working with a diverse mix of clients that include financial institutions, nonprofits, employee benefit plans and publicly traded companies, she has years of audit experience, including preparing and analyzing financial statements to ensure fair presentation in accordance with a variety of accounting frameworks. Additionally, Florian-Theriaque has extensive experience performing audits of internal control over financial reporting to satisfy the requirements of Sarbanes-Oxley 404(b). She also participates in various groups at the firm, including developmental coaching, the learning and development task force, financial institutions niche, New England niche and Women of Wolf. Furthermore, Florian-Theriaque is a member of the Audit Committee for the Girl Scouts of Central and Western Massachusetts.
Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
Merrill Puopolo, CPA, CGMA
Managing Director | CBIZ & MHM
Merrill Puopolo, CPA, CGMA, is managing director at CBIZ & MHM where she primarily works with closely held businesses and nonprofit organizations. She provides a wide range of services, including audits and reviews of financial statements, tax planning and consulting, internal control and system reviews, due diligence services and financial statement analysis. Having worked at the firm for over 30 years, Puopolo is also a member of the Accounting and Auditing Group and a leader of the architecture, engineering and consulting (A/E/C) practice. Additionally, she is an active member of the CBIZ Women’s Advantage (CWA) providing professional training, development, mentorship, recognition and career enhancements to women in accounting.
About the Woman to Watch Awards
The Women to Watch Awards were created by the AICPA to recognize outstanding women in the accounting profession and are given in two categories: Emerging and Experienced Leaders.
Criteria for nominations included:
- Mentoring of other professionals
- Leadership or involvement in workplace initiatives and improvements
- Overall contributions to the profession and workplace
- Public or community service
- Involvement with their alma mater or other colleges and universities
Previous Women to Watch Awards Winners:
- Hillary Caplan, CPA, Assurance Manager, CohnReznick
- Shanikwa Davis, CPA, MST, MSA, Senior Tax Advisor and Principal, S. Davis Tax Consultants, Inc.
- Meredith Fuller, Senior Manager, Baker Newman Noyes
- Krista Huebner, CPA, MSA, Senior Manager, EY
- Erin Coco, CPA, Audit Shareholder, tonneson + co
- Donna Roundy, CPA, Senior Manager, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C.
- Leanne Scott, JD, LL.M. Senior Manager, Baker Newman Noyes
- Cheryl Cadle, CPA, MBA, Senior Manager, CBIZ & MHM
- Chelsea Cox, MSA, Senior Associate, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C.
- April Gjoka, CPA, CCMP, Experienced Manager, Grant Thornton LLP
- Caroline Waweru, CPA, MBA, MSA, Senior Tax Manager, Stone & Company, LLC
- Tarra Curran, CPA, MST, Managing Director, CBIZ & MHM
- Kristi Reale, CPA, CVA, Partner, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C.
- Katie Soule, CPA, CFP, Wealth Management Advisor, Merrill Lynch
- Rebecca Connolly, CPA, Manager, Burkhart, Pizzanelli, PC
- Danielle Donovan, CPA, MSA, Supervisor, Walter & Shuffain, P.C.
- Kristen Longobardi, CPA, Audit & Assurance Manager, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Mon Chau, CPA, Partner, investment management practice, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Laura McNeil, CPA, Tax Partner, PwC
- Laura O'Brien, CPA, MST, Principal, ALL CPAs
- Amy Phelan, CPA, Shareholder, tonneson + co
- Angela H. Barcelos, CPA, Partner, Corporate Finance Group, Inc (CFGI)
- Maura S. Hodge, CPA, Audit Partner, KPMG LLP
- Tracy A. LeMaire, CPA, MBA, Manager, AAFCPAs
- Jessica T. Ackerman, CPA, Audit & Assurance Managing Director, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Cheryl M. Burke, MBA, Partner and Chief Operating Officer, DGC (DiCicco, Gulman & Company)
- Janice O'Reilly, CPA, CGMA, Partner, AAFCPAs
- Jane Steinmetz, Boston Office Managing Principal, EY
Professional Associate Leader
- Casey J. Blake, Marketing Manager, Edelstein & Company LLP
- Sandra E. Costa, CPA, Assurance Senior Manager, PwC
- Laura L. Felice, CPA, CGMA, SVP Finance, Controller, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Sarah E. Shaw, CPA, Tax Senior Manager, RSM
- Jennifer L. Gaudet, CPA, Partner, PwC
- Julie M. Quink, CPA, CFE, Managing Principal, Burkhart, Pizzanelli, P.C.
- Jennifer C. Williams, CPA, MBA, Partner, Director of Operations, McLaren & Associates CPAs, PC
- Jeanie I. Gorlovsky-Schepp, CPA, Manager, AAFCPAs
- Laura J. Gregoriadis, CPA, Principal, DiCicco, Gulman & Company
- Jessica Platt, CPA, MST, Principal In Charge - New Bedford, CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP
- Pamela Kelleher, CPA, Partner, Ernst & Young LLP
- Zara Muradali, CPA, MST, Life Science Partner, Business Tax Services, KPMG LLP
- Linda M. Smith, CPA, Managing Partner, Smith, Sullivan and Brown, PC
- Melyssa Brown, CPA, MBA, Senior Manager, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C.
- Lynne Coviello, Partner, Advisory Services, EY
- Kara Stevens, CPA, MBA, Director, Accounting Programs & Assistant Professor of Accounting, Bay Path University
- Theresa Brockelman,CPA, Audit Partner, Deloitte
- Catherine Latham, CPA, MBA, Shareholder, CBIZ Tofias
- Margery Piercey, CPA, CGMA, Member of the Firm, Wolf & Company, P.C.
- Beza Asrat, CPA, supervisor, Abrams Little-Gill Loberfeld PC
- Katie J. Belanger, CPA, audit manager, Alexander Aronson Finning CPAs
- Yolanda Rego, BS, BA, tax supervisor, Gonzalez & Associates, PC
- Mellinda Abbott, CPA, MBA, managing partner, Abbott & Company LLC
- Shay M. Blanchette-Proulx, CPA, lecturer, Babson College
- Kristin D'Ambrosio, CPA, assurance partner, financial services practice, PwC
- Karen Briggs McElroy, CPA, senior manager, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Kristie Cotter, CPA, manager, Samet and Company PC
- Kathy Parker, CPA, partner, Rodman & Rodman, PC
- Renee Davis, CPA, partner, Powers & Sullivan, LLC
- Kristin Kelley, CPA, MST, director, Abrams Little-Gill Loberfeld PC
- Carla McCall, CPA, CGMA, co-president, Alexander Aronson Finning CPAs
- Annie Boudreau, CPA, Grant Thronton LLP
- Colleen Dowd, CPA, PwC
- Angela Parziale, CPA, MST, Walter & Shuffain
- Nancy Aubrey, CPA, McGladrey LLP
- Susan Klink, CPA, Deloitte
- Michelle Spriggs, CPA, MBA, CBIZ Tofias and Mayer Hoffman McCann P.C.
- Roberta Chirco, CPA, CCR
- LeeAnn Manning, CPA, Grant Thornton
- Laura Barooshian, CPA, DiCicco, Gulman & Company
- Marla Beck, CPA, CCR
- Kristin Francisco, CPA, PwC
- Jackie Kelley, CPA, CCR LLP
- Marissa O'Connor, CPA, Grant Thornton LLP
- Erin Regan, CPA, Deloitte
- Lillian Gonzalez, CPA, MST, CSEP, CSRP, Gonzalez & Associates PC
- Kristina Houghton, CPA, Meyers Brothers Kalicka PC
- Kim Reinert, CPA, Ernst & Young LLP
- Rachael Bradley, CPA, PwC
- Hillary Burr, CPA, Wolf & Company PC
- Kristin Costa, CPA, Braver PC
- Krissy Davis, CPA, Deloitte
- Susan Esper, CPA, Deloitte