MassCPAs, in partnership with the AICPA’s Women’s Initiatives Executive Committee, is pleased to announce the seven recipients of the 2023 Women to Watch Awards! The awards recognize outstanding women in the accounting profession and are given in two categories: Emerging Leaders (professionals with 15 or fewer years of experience) and Experienced Leaders (established members of the profession).
Winners will be recognized during our Women's Leadership Summit on Thursday, October 26, at the Westin Waltham.
Sandra Balogun, CPA
Audit and Assurance Senior
Sandra Balogun, CPA, is an audit and assurance senior at Deloitte LLP, with over six years of experience in public accounting. She began at Deloitte Nigeria as an audit associate and progressed to audit semi-senior, handling audits for diverse industries and leading a multi-country group audit. A lead component auditor for Deloitte Singapore, she now serves U.S. audit engagements in leasing, tech, healthcare and more. Balogun’s fervor for nurturing young talents led her to facilitate accounting workshops for high school students at Girls Inc., Randolph High School and MassCPAs’ Accounting Careers Exploratory (ACE) program. She is a member of MassCPAs' Young Professionals Committee and Women in Accounting Committee.
Jessica Greene, CPA, MSA
Powers & Sullivan, LLC
Jessica Greene, CPA, MSA, is a governmental manager at Powers & Sullivan, LLC. With over 9 years of municipal audit experience, she has spent 100% of her time working on Massachusetts governmental clients. She prides herself on being very attentive to her clients’ needs and has demonstrated the ability to assist them throughout the year. Additionally, Greene is a member of the P&S quality control team responsible for reviewing ACFR’s prior to submittal to the GFOA award program. She is also part of a team that establishes our auditing procedures and an in-house instructor for general government auditing requirements.
Amanda Pelcher, CPA
Owner and Financial Consultant
Three-Kay Consulting, LLC
Amanda Pelcher, CPA, is the owner and financial consultant of Three-Kay Consulting, LLC where she serves as a strategic partner to her clients. Throughout her career, she has faced a myriad of challenges requiring creative solutions. Whether it is developing metrics to monitor financial/programmatic growth, creating financial forecasts or assisting with implementing control structures to promote strong fiduciary practices, Pelcher’s solutions are tailored to her clients' specific needs. Additionally, she has extensive experience in providing guidance related to the complex rules and regulations required for an organization to remain in compliance with Uniform Guidance/Single Audit and Government Auditing Standards.
Carolyn Warger, CPA
Partner, Accounting Principles Group
Grant Thornton LLP
Carolyn Warger, CPA, is a partner in Grant Thornton’s Accounting Principles Group, part of the National Office of the Audit Practice, where she works with audit teams and their clients as a subject matter expert in accounting areas such as leasing and revenue. She recently completed Professional Practice Fellowship at the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), where she worked on accounting standard-setting projects for revenue, leasing, goodwill and digital assets. Warger began her career with Grant Thornton in the Boston audit practice, serving clients in international nonprofit, higher education, manufacturing, restauran, and services industries. Additionally, she has been an active leader of Grant Thornton’s Women@GT Business Resource Group throughout her career.
Jessica Clancy, CPA
tonneson + co
Jessica Clancy, CPA, is a managing director in tonneson + co’s tax department where she specializes in high-net-worth, individual and family office tax planning and consulting, serving clients in industries such as financial services and distribution. With 21 years of professional experience, she joined the firm in 2020 to contribute her expertise in partnerships, S-corporations and Individual taxation. Beyond her role at the firm, Clancy finds fulfillment in mentoring new staff and participating in training initiatives. Her passion for sharing knowledge and supporting colleagues contributes to a collaborative and growth-oriented work environment. In her spare time, she dedicates herself to volunteering for Project Just Because in Hopkinton, MA, demonstrating her commitment to making a positive impact in her community. In addition, Clancy’s motivation stems from her genuine desire to help clients and build meaningful connections with both clients and colleagues. She thrives on providing valuable guidance and solutions to meet clients’ tax needs.
Courtney McFarland, CPA, MSA, 340B ACE
Courtney McFarland, CPA, MSA, 340B ACE, is a partner in AAFCPAs’ Healthcare Practice with extensive experience advising the nation’s healthcare safety net community, including Federally Qualified Heath Centers (FQHCs), clinic, and behavioral health providers. She delivers a full range of solutions solving the challenges that AAFCPAs’ healthcare clients face, including audits in accordance with Uniform Guidance/Single Audit and Government Auditing Standards, 340B pharmacy program requirements, best practices for reconciliation & analysis of statistical and programmatic data, tracking and monitoring risk-based contracts, maximizing reimbursements, and guidance on healthcare reform. Additionally, McFarland trains professional staff on topics related to assurance, financial management and regulatory compliance for healthcare organizations. She is also a regular guest speaker for the Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers, the Rhode Island Health Center Association (RIHCA), the Mass Council of Human Services Providers and the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA).
Kathy Parker, CPA
Kathy Parker, CPA, is a principal at BerryDunn, a boutique team that provides high-touch, high-tech back-office services for family offices, real estate and emerging and established companies, both domestically and abroad. She has a strong entrepreneurial spirit that has led her to create new opportunities for companies across industries. In addition, Parker’s popularity as a public speaker and presenter has led to speaking engagements at conferences across the country, where she shows accounting and business service firms how to seize opportunities and be leaders in the renewable energy sector. She is also the the practice group leader of the Outsourced Accounting Practice Group at the firm.
About the Woman to Watch Awards
The Women to Watch Awards were created by the AICPA to recognize outstanding women in the accounting profession and are given in two categories: Emerging and Experienced Leaders.
Criteria for nominations included:
- Mentoring of other professionals
- Leadership or involvement in workplace initiatives and improvements
- Overall contributions to the profession and workplace
- Public or community service
- Involvement with their alma mater or other colleges and universities
Previous Women to Watch Awards Winners:
- Kayla Ducharme, CPA, Audit Manager, Audit Asset Management Practice, KPMG LLP
- Marni Kaufman, CPA, CFE, ABV, Senior Manager, Floyd Advisory LLC
- Madison Litwin, CPA, MBA, MST, Senior Manager, Private Client Services Group, KLR
- Ashley Meehan, CPA, MSA, Assurance Manager, CohnReznick LLP
- Janine Danielson, CPA, Partner, Managing Director of Outsourced Management Accounting, LGA, LLP
- Nicole Florian-Theriaque, CPA, MSA, Audit Senior Manager, Wolf & Company, P.C.
Lifetime Achievement Award
- Merrill Puopolo, CPA, CGMA, CGMA, Managing Director, CBIZ & MHM
- Hillary Caplan, CPA, Assurance Manager, CohnReznick
- Shanikwa Davis, CPA, MST, MSA, Senior Tax Advisor and Principal, S. Davis Tax Consultants, Inc.
- Meredith Fuller, Senior Manager, Baker Newman Noyes
- Krista Huebner, CPA, MSA, Senior Manager, EY
- Erin Coco, CPA, Audit Shareholder, tonneson + co
- Donna Roundy, CPA, Senior Manager, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C.
- Leanne Scott, JD, LL.M. Senior Manager, Baker Newman Noyes
- Cheryl Cadle, CPA, MBA, Senior Manager, CBIZ & MHM
- Chelsea Cox, MSA, Senior Associate, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C.
- April Gjoka, CPA, CCMP, Experienced Manager, Grant Thornton LLP
- Caroline Waweru, CPA, MBA, MSA, Senior Tax Manager, Stone & Company, LLC
- Tarra Curran, CPA, MST, Managing Director, CBIZ & MHM
- Kristi Reale, CPA, CVA, Partner, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C.
- Katie Soule, CPA, CFP, Wealth Management Advisor, Merrill Lynch
- Rebecca Connolly, CPA, Manager, Burkhart, Pizzanelli, PC
- Danielle Donovan, CPA, MSA, Supervisor, Walter & Shuffain, P.C.
- Kristen Longobardi, CPA, Audit & Assurance Manager, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Mon Chau, CPA, Partner, investment management practice, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Laura McNeil, CPA, Tax Partner, PwC
- Laura O'Brien, CPA, MST, Principal, ALL CPAs
- Amy Phelan, CPA, Shareholder, tonneson + co
- Angela H. Barcelos, CPA, Partner, Corporate Finance Group, Inc (CFGI)
- Maura S. Hodge, CPA, Audit Partner, KPMG LLP
- Tracy A. LeMaire, CPA, MBA, Manager, AAFCPAs
- Jessica T. Ackerman, CPA, Audit & Assurance Managing Director, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Cheryl M. Burke, MBA, Partner and Chief Operating Officer, DGC (DiCicco, Gulman & Company)
- Janice O'Reilly, CPA, CGMA, Partner, AAFCPAs
- Jane Steinmetz, Boston Office Managing Principal, EY
Professional Associate Leader
- Casey J. Blake, Marketing Manager, Edelstein & Company LLP
- Sandra E. Costa, CPA, Assurance Senior Manager, PwC
- Laura L. Felice, CPA, CGMA, SVP Finance, Controller, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Sarah E. Shaw, CPA, Tax Senior Manager, RSM
- Jennifer L. Gaudet, CPA, Partner, PwC
- Julie M. Quink, CPA, CFE, Managing Principal, Burkhart, Pizzanelli, P.C.
- Jennifer C. Williams, CPA, MBA, Partner, Director of Operations, McLaren & Associates CPAs, PC
- Jeanie I. Gorlovsky-Schepp, CPA, Manager, AAFCPAs
- Laura J. Gregoriadis, CPA, Principal, DiCicco, Gulman & Company
- Jessica Platt, CPA, MST, Principal In Charge - New Bedford, CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP
- Pamela Kelleher, CPA, Partner, Ernst & Young LLP
- Zara Muradali, CPA, MST, Life Science Partner, Business Tax Services, KPMG LLP
- Linda M. Smith, CPA, Managing Partner, Smith, Sullivan and Brown, PC
- Melyssa Brown, CPA, MBA, Senior Manager, Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C.
- Lynne Coviello, Partner, Advisory Services, EY
- Kara Stevens, CPA, MBA, Director, Accounting Programs & Assistant Professor of Accounting, Bay Path University
- Theresa Brockelman,CPA, Audit Partner, Deloitte
- Catherine Latham, CPA, MBA, Shareholder, CBIZ Tofias
- Margery Piercey, CPA, CGMA, Member of the Firm, Wolf & Company, P.C.
- Beza Asrat, CPA, supervisor, Abrams Little-Gill Loberfeld PC
- Katie J. Belanger, CPA, audit manager, Alexander Aronson Finning CPAs
- Yolanda Rego, BS, BA, tax supervisor, Gonzalez & Associates, PC
- Mellinda Abbott, CPA, MBA, managing partner, Abbott & Company LLC
- Shay M. Blanchette-Proulx, CPA, lecturer, Babson College
- Kristin D'Ambrosio, CPA, assurance partner, financial services practice, PwC
- Karen Briggs McElroy, CPA, senior manager, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Kristie Cotter, CPA, manager, Samet and Company PC
- Kathy Parker, CPA, partner, Rodman & Rodman, PC
- Renee Davis, CPA, partner, Powers & Sullivan, LLC
- Kristin Kelley, CPA, MST, director, Abrams Little-Gill Loberfeld PC
- Carla McCall, CPA, CGMA, co-president, Alexander Aronson Finning CPAs
- Annie Boudreau, CPA, Grant Thronton LLP
- Colleen Dowd, CPA, PwC
- Angela Parziale, CPA, MST, Walter & Shuffain
- Nancy Aubrey, CPA, McGladrey LLP
- Susan Klink, CPA, Deloitte
- Michelle Spriggs, CPA, MBA, CBIZ Tofias and Mayer Hoffman McCann P.C.
- Roberta Chirco, CPA, CCR
- LeeAnn Manning, CPA, Grant Thornton
- Laura Barooshian, CPA, DiCicco, Gulman & Company
- Marla Beck, CPA, CCR
- Kristin Francisco, CPA, PwC
- Jackie Kelley, CPA, CCR LLP
- Marissa O'Connor, CPA, Grant Thornton LLP
- Erin Regan, CPA, Deloitte
- Lillian Gonzalez, CPA, MST, CSEP, CSRP, Gonzalez & Associates PC
- Kristina Houghton, CPA, Meyers Brothers Kalicka PC
- Kim Reinert, CPA, Ernst & Young LLP
- Rachael Bradley, CPA, PwC
- Hillary Burr, CPA, Wolf & Company PC
- Kristin Costa, CPA, Braver PC
- Krissy Davis, CPA, Deloitte
- Susan Esper, CPA, Deloitte